• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 64 other subscribers
  • Archives

Sat. Nov. 11 to Fri. Nov. 17- Sun City

Saturday- Karlie had a tummy issue, so we had to wash the blanket and quilt off the bed. We dropped them off in the laundry room and went to the craft fair here at the park. We wandered through and stopped to talk to people we knew.

We ran to the storage unit and I picked up my card making supplies. We returned and moved the blanket and quilt to the dryer. We went to the MH and did some laundry in the MH.

We sorted the pictures and packaged them to mail off to Scan to Disc. 15 cents per picture which is the least expensive I could find for 600 dpi. We stopped at the Biscuit Club for lunch, then went to Famous Footwear for some new shoes for Bob.  Geez, they did not have anything he liked. Most of the walking/running shoes have no arch support! So we purchased him some arch supports,  using my discounts, and he put them in some shoes he has that he did not like, that he already had at home. They seem to be working well, as he is happy with them.

We stopped at a FedEx office and mailed the pictures off…

We stopped at a store that sells water softeners. The water in AZ if very hard. They have what Bob wants, but it is at their storage. They called with a price, and it was cheaper to purchase from Walmart and have it shipped. .

We returned to the MH and sat out. We BBQ’d dinner and watched some TV.

Sunday- I did laundry, we did our budgeting, and at a little after 11 we went to the Elks Lodge for brunch. We picked up MaryAnne on the way. We met up with Karen, John, Paula and Charlie. Linda and Mike joined us a little later, on their way back from church.

We had a nice lunch and caught up with Paula and Charlie, as they are on their way to California for the holidays. We won’t see them again until Quartzsite in January.

We had a quiet evening at home, then a little before 9, Bob left to go to the sleep study. 

Monday- Bob was home a little after 6 AM. He would have been home sooner, but at 5:30am, they closed the road in front of the RV park. It will be closed from the west until 11/28, then probably even longer. He said that if he had sleep apnea, they would wake him and put on his mask. They did not wake him!!!

My  left shoulder, which has the torn rotator cuff, has been hurting like crazy. I think it is how hard I work in water aerobics, so I have had to stop going. I am riding my bike instead. I worked on the Roadrunner newsletter.

I had the Diagnostic Breast Mammogram and Ultrasound scheduled for today. Bob went along with me as we were going to be farther east and wanted to go to lunch somewhere over that direction.

We arrived and as I was completing the paperwork, I realized I had forgotten to bring my previous mammograms. EEEK! I immediately told the gal. She said that the tech would talk to me. Boy, did she! You would have thought I sent nukes to North Korea!

I told her that I would have the disc here within the hour, Nope, no test. I told her if she did not believe I would return, I would have Bob run back to the MH to pick it up and I would stay there. She went and asked the Radiologist. Nope, no test. What jerks! Yea, I made a mistake, but they would not work with me.

I explained that my MD appt. was on Thursday morning and I needed the Mammogram before then. The gal kept saying that I needed the disc uploaded before the appointment, and that was the issue. In the 3 times I spoke with them, NO ONE SAID THAT! So she made an appointment, 19 miles away, and I had to take the disc to one of the facilities to be uploaded, today.

I was really upset by this time, as you can imagine! So we left and went home. We stopped at the BBQ trailer that is in the park on Mondays. We bought sandwiches and returned to the MH to eat lunch. The BBQ was pretty lousy and they had the worst potato salad ever! We will not eat there again.

We left and went to the closest Simon Med facility, near our doctors office, and I went in. I asked the gal to please upload the disc. She said, “did you have the mammogram this morning?” I said “I wish”. She just rolled her eyes! It took almost 1/2 an hour to get this done.

We left and went to Walmart shopping. We were both tired later and went to On the Border for dinner.

Tuesday- I pulled the referral for the Mammogram out of my purse. I had not seen this before, as it had been sent electronically to Simon Med. I wanted to get the address off the paperwork and put it in my phone on Google Maps so I would know how to get to the facility later. As I read it, I found that the Doc had requested that the mammogram/ ultrasound be scheduled at a specific facility, and only that facility. It was not where either of the tests were scheduled!! I sent a message to the Doc.

I had the Retired Nurses breakfast. I arrived and was welcomed. I signed up for the year, $5. We had a nice breakfast and I met some other retired nurses, one of which lives at Paradise ,also, in a park model, on 14th street.

The speaker was an Epidemiology Nurse from the Maricopa County Health Department.She spoke about flu shots. It was very interesting. She explained the difference between the two flu shots, the regular one and the one that they are now giving to people over 65. She also explained why they dropped the nasal vaccine for kids.

The over 65 is a “quad” rather than a ‘tri”. Meaning that it covers four “ different flu strains, rather than three. This year they are predicting that it will be the “A’ strain, which means less people will get the flu, but those that do, will be sicker and more will be hospitalized.

She also explained how they come up with the ‘quesstimate’ as to what strains to prepare for each year. It is based on what occurs in Australia, as their winters are during our summers.

I returned to the MH, we ate lunch, then I left for my Mammogram and Ultrasound. I arrived at the location, 19 miles away. The receptionist wanted me to complete all the paperwork again. I told her it was all in the computer. Then she wanted me to pay again, and I gave her the receipt from yesterday. Then she wanted the disc of my films, I told her it was also in the computer. I felt like a ‘jack in the box” as I had to keep gong up to the counter to answer all these questions.

Finally, I was taken back. I was shown to a room to change into the gown, and then I was NOT given a locker. I had to take my bra and top with me everywhere!

Since the digital 3D mammogram machine was in use, the gal took me to an older machine to do one part of the test. Since I have a nipple problem, she then basically took a pair of plyers and squeezed my nipple. Well, that was what it felt like. Especially, since she took several views! Much, much more painful that a regular mammogram!

Back to the little waiting room, then off to the 3D imaging machine. That was just a regular mammogram and not any more painful that usual.

The radiologist read the mammogram, and then I was off to the Ultrasound. So now, after the painful first mammogram, the tech was pushing on the very sore breast. I know that they have to do it this way, for the insurance, but it sure would have been nice to do the Ultrasound first!

The gal who escorted me to the main waiting room said that I needed to wait for the films. I waited about 15 minutes and the gal called me to the desk and handed me the films.

I left and drove about 11 miles north, on I 110, to the exit for the Doc’s office. I thought that I would just drop the films off at the office for review. Just before the exit my cell rang. I was driving on the interstate so I did not answer. When I stopped at the exit traffic light I  listened to the voice mail. Fortunately, I was in the left lane. The facility was calling me to let me know I had left my films there. I got back on the interstate, heading south and called them.

The gal I spoke with told me that I had left the films. I said to her that they are on the seat next to me. She put me on hold and came back laughing. She said that they had given me the Ultrasound films, but not the Mammogram films. She thought this was funny??? I was not amused!

I told her I was on my way back. So I drove back the 11 miles. I arrived and the films were not at the desk! The gal at the desk as very apologetic, and she was not laughing!

She had to go hunt them down. While I was there, I asked her for the results to be placed on disc. She said that the films were mine. I explained, as I had earlier, that I live in a motor home and do not have room for films. Plus the radiologist wants me back in 6 months, and I will not be here in 6 months ( mid May).

She said she would make copies. It would take 10 minutes. It only took about 5. So I ran back up the interstate and turned in the films at the MD office. I returned to the MH, exhausted and emotional!

Meanwhile, Bob had been working on various tasks. He is getting ready for the dog fence to arrive and he is going to have to design how he is going to place the fence. He is also getting ready for the water softener to arrive.

We ate dinner, then went Square Dancing. We had a great time! We saw lots of folks we had  danced with 2 years ago and were welcomed back by them.

Wednesday- I finished the Roadrunner newsletter and sent it to the president for review. I hope to send it out this evening. After lunch, I went to Diane and Jim’s to play Mahjongg with Diane, Jan and Karen. We had a great time playing and I won one game.

I returned and we went to dinner at the Elks Lodge. MaryAnne is sponsoring John to become an Elk and they were at the orientation. We grabbed a table and waited. MaryAnne texted that she was not sure how long they were going to be. So we grabbed our dinners, which were very good. We had to move seats, as they needed the other end of the table for a group. Finally, John and MaryAnne arrived. They grabbed their dinners and ate. We sat talking for while, until John could not longer sit, due to his back.I even got up and line danced one dance. 

We returned to the MH and watched some TV.

At about 8:30 the phone rang and it was the doctors office cancelling my appointment for tomorrow. The Mamo and Ultasound were good and so she was cancelling. She wants me to return in 6 months. Since I will not be here in 6 months, we scheduled an appointment for mid-March.

Thursday- Overnight, Jim had sent me the email list for the Roadrunner newsletter, so i sent that out. At 10, I taught, with MaryAnne’s help, 5 gals Mahjongg. We played until 12. Meanwhile, Bob had the safety class at the Woodworking shop, so he had attended that. Our fence had arrived yesterday afternoon, so he sawed the wood he is using on the concrete to stabilize the fence.

It was a busy afternoon, running around getting more supplies that Bob needed for the fence and the water softener, which arrived.  We ate dinner at home.

Friday- It was intermittently raining! A rare event in AZ. Bob started putting up the dog fence, between the rain drops. It would rain for about 3-5minutes, then stop, so he would come in, take a break , then go back out.

Meanwhile, I went to the card room to the card making group. I paid my $5 for the year. One of the gals taught at class on making a card using shaving cream. She had gone to the “dollar store” and purchased fragrance free shaving cream and four food coloring bottles. She took the shaving cream and sprayed it in to a bowl. Then she dotted the food coloring into the shaving cream and swirled it around. Then she placed the paper on top, in the bowl. She took the paper out, then sat the paper on the table. She used the stick to spread the shaving cream around on the paper. Then she let it sit for 3 minutes. The next step was to take a spatula and scrape off the shaving cream, leaving a ‘tie dye’ type appearance. Then you let the paper dry and put items on the paper to complete the card. It looked really awesome! I forgot to take pictures!

I completed 3 cards I had started 2 years ago! Then returned to the MH. We ate lunch, then I picked up Donna and we went to the craft fair at the Congressional Church. We wandered through the fair, talking to the vendors. I bought a little change purse, from the “Bag Lady”, who I had purchased a purse from 2 years ago.

We left  and went to the Christian Church for another craft fair. We promptly ran into Karen who was just leaving. I purchased some Redskin pot holders, and two card holders.

We left and returned home. At 3:30, we had an appointment for Karlie at the Vets. She had a second incontinence episode this morning, in our bed. So the Vet checked her urine. We will hear if she has a urinary tract infection tomorrow.

We returned home, ate dinner and went to our Plus Square Dancing workshop. We had a great time dancing from 7 to 9.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: