• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 64 other subscribers
  • Archives

Sat. July 26 to Fri Aug. 1- South Bend IN to Mackinaw City MI

Saturday- We were up early again as we still didn’t sleep well due to the trains. At least there were no motorcycles today. We worked on getting the MH back in shape and Bob fixed some little items that needed to be done. Finally, at around 11, we left to go to Millers for the motor repair. Glen had not called and his voice mail was full, so we figured we would just show up.

We arrived to find the place completely closed up. So I called Megan. She told PJ and while she was talking to me, PJ called Glen, who answered his phone for PJ. Anyway, he was on his way. So we made sandwiches for lunch and waited. He arrived after about 20 minutes with the parts.

Bob pulled the MH into the repair shop and I sat in the car with the dogs, reading my book. Glen took about an hour to fix the manifold. We paid a lot less than anticipated, hooked up the car, and we were finally on our way.

Since we knew the repair was going to be completed, we tried to make reservations in Holland MI. No RV sites available anywhere near there for Saturday evening. We decided to reverse our drive through Michigan, starting in the east instead of the west. We were able to make a reservation at the RPI Heartland Woods RV Park in Sturbridge MI.

We traveled north on Hwy 15 into Michigan on Rt. 103 to Rt. 12 east, to 131 north then 60 east. The GPS was having a fit, It really wanted us to take the toll road ( MI 80/90). We wanted to drive on country roads instead. The drive was very pretty with minimal traffic. The roads were two lanes, nice and wide.

Michigan is a very pretty state. We noticed that the corn in Michigan is much shorter than the corn in Indiana, not that far to the south!

Finally we reached I-69 which we took to I-94. We exited the interstate at Jackson MI and drove north about 12 miles to Heartland RV Park. This was a very nice park!

The ‘pigtail’ changing us from 50 amp to 30 amp was having issues at McMillers, so we asked for a 50 amp site. They gave us one as we were staying for only one night. Since we were staying under RPI, they do not usually give RPI folks the upgraded sites.

We parked and set up camp. We had forgotten to take out a crock pot meal soon enough, so we had nothing for dinner. The gal at the park suggested the Munith Café, in Munith, a short distance away. So we drove over there to find the parking lot had a lot of cars, so we thought it would be good.

We entered and the waitress told us to just sit anywhere. We sat and sat. She was busy. It turned out there were only two staff there, the cook and the waitress. She was a terrible waitress, taking one itme at a time to a table. We were finally waited on and both had the shrimp dinner with potatoes and a really good tomato basil soup. Since we had to wait so long the cook gave us free desert, cherry cheesecake, which we took home.

We returned, read, and went to bed. Bob did not bother to try to set up the satellite, as we were under a canopy of trees.

Sunday- We both slept like the dead since it was so quiet! We had a nice breakfast and updated the budget. We left around 10 AM and drove north on Hwy 52, east of Lansing, to I-69 to Flint ,where we turned onto I-75 north. We went to the Frankenmuth exit. There was an outlet mall there, so we went into their parking lot to park the MH. Just before we turned left into the outlet mall, a lady honked and yelled that one of our doors was open. Sure enough, it was the same one that had come open on Thursday. At the traffic light ( we were in the right lane) I jumped out and ran back to slam it shut. Bob had checked it and it was locked, so we are not sure what the issue is…. it goes on the list for McMillers.

We disconnected the car, walked the dogs, and drove the nine miles to Frankenmuth, a Bavarian themed town. Yeah, a tourist trap, but who cares, it was fun!

We stopped at the Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn for lunch.

Frankenmuth Bavaian Inn

Bob had the brat platter and I had the Jagerschnitzel. No beer, as we were driving. Lunch was excellent and the price was fair.

Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn

We noticed that the wall decorations were all fairytales.

Fairy Tale Decorations

The murals below were on the stairs.

Wall Murals

Wall murals

We wandered to the shops downstairs where we bought an apple strudel for dinner. Bob was in beer heaven. Here he is trying to decide on what to buy! .

Bob in beer heaven!

. We left and toured the town. Below was a mural on the wall of the Museum.

Outside wall murals

Outside wall murals

Below is Zanders, which is famous in the area for their ‘Broaster chicken’, which is Amish KFC chicken. The chicken is very good, but we wanted a German meal.



Frankenmuth MI

Covered bridge in Frankenmuth MI


Chapel in Frankenmuth

As you enter or leave town, as we were doing, you pass the Worlds Largest Christmas Store which appears to be very big. We did not stop there, but it had every Christmas decoration available outside plus a motel with a water park.

We went back to the motor home. Since we were only going another 30 miles, we didn’t  hook up the car. We drove north and found that the interstate was closed at exit 150.  We were stopping at exit 151, for diesel at the Flying J. We had to re-route on I- 675 to get to the Flying J on back roads. When we arrived at the Flying J, the car radio did an emergency weather alert telling us about a severe storm with golf ball size hail and 60 mph winds, which was expected to hit the area we are traveling in. Bob put in the diesel and we parked the rig to wait for the storm to pass. Since we were sitting, we set up the crock pot in the sink, and started cooking dinner.  Bob kept watching the weather on his phone. The storm passed north of us, right over the RV park where we are headed. There were a lot of storms over Michigan, so we took the opportunity between storms to run to our destination, Fenton Road RV Park .

We did not have a reservation, but the gal from the park had returned my call and told us to just come in and there will be a list on the office door of available sites. The office is closed on Sunday.

We arrived to find the list and two 50 amp sites available. We picked one, backed in , and set up. Bob quickly walked the dogs before the rain started again. This is a very nice park, owned by the county. $19 cash/check for 50 amp, FHU, on a double wide concrete pad with asphalt roads. Can’t beat this!

We ate dinner and did some more work around the motor home while working on laundry. We went to bed at about 10 and slept like the dead again.

Monday- We left around 8 AM to go to Walmart and Home Depot. We bought groceries and some other items, including a 50 to 30 amp adaptor at Walmart. We  then went to Home Depot for a pole. On Sat. and Sun. the freezer drawer kept opening. We used a tension rod to keep it closed, but it was in our way. Bob had rigged the tension rod using some bungee cords.  We purchased a 3/4” pole with end caps.

We stopped at the office on the way back into the park and paid for two nights. We put away the groceries and Bob tried the pole. He walked the dogs again and we left to go exploring.

Our first stop was for corn at a roadside market. The Michigan corn is really good! we stopped for  gas, $3.49/gal. We stopped at a JoAnne’s and I bought some felt with a sticky backing to cover the new pole.  Our next stop was at the City Hall Bell Tower.

City Hall Bell Tower in Bay City MI

This was a beautiful building. We were impressed, the clock had the correct time.

Inside the City Hall Bell Tower building

We found the right office, on the 4th floor, and signed  in. Then we hiked up the steps to as far as you can go in the tower. You cannot go all the way to the top.

Bell tower stairs

I took pictures of the town. First south and then northeast.

South from the Bell TowerNortheast from the Bell Tower

We went to lunch at Red’s Lion Diner. The service and food were good. The price was even better, as we got out of there for less than $10 for the two of us!

We went to the Chamber of Commerce looking for the visitor center. The gal said that they had moved it to the Planetarium, but could she help us. The items on my list were too far away, so we went to the Chateau-style Library.

Chateau Style Library Bay City MI

We had noticed this magnificent  Presbyterian Church.

Prespeterian Church Bay City MI

We also went to look at the Timber and Sugar Beet Baron’s houses on Center street.

Victorian House Bay City MI

Victorian House in Bay City MI Victorian House in Bay City MI

Victorian House in Bay City MIVictorian House in Bay City MI

Victorian House Bay City MI Victorian House in Bay City MI

Victorian House Bay City MI Victorian House Bay City MI

Victorian House Bay City MIVictorian House Bay City MI

Victorian House Bay City MI

We had seen many of these on our drive through town yesterday. They are beautiful. The gal at the Chamber said that most of them have been sub-divided into apartments. We returned back the way we came to find that the gas had dropped to $3.39/gal while we were running around!

Since it was still early, we decided to drive north on Hwy 25, on the Huron Lake Circle Tour. We went about 30 miles and were finally able to see Saginaw Bay.

Saginaw Bay MI

We returned to the MH, ate dinner and continued doing laundry.

Tuesday- We left the park at 9 AM, traveling through town then north on Hwy 13 to Hwy 23. We continued to drive  to the north along Saginaw Bay, although we could not see the bay. We stopped in Tawas City, as there was a nice park we were able to pull into.

Lake Huron 

I was able to take this picture of Lake Huron,  as we had now left the bay front. there is a freighter in the background. Here is the motorhome in the parking lot.

New MH colors

We could not see the lighthouse as it was in the state park  without paying an entrance fee. We passed through about 10 miles of construction. It seemed like forever, as the barrels on the side of the road were not uniformly placed, and the lane was narrow, so Bob had to really be careful. He was really glad when we finally pulled out of the construction zone and he could relax a bit.

Construction on Hwy 23, Michigan

We continued north on Hwy.23 to Alpena. The drive was very pretty with some places the lake being visible from the highway. There were many houses directly on the lake, and it seemed to be a contest with the every driveway having a unique sign. There were also a lot of rental cabins, all of which had ‘no vacancy’ on their signs.

We arrived in Alpena at around 12:30 and drove into the Alpena Fairgrounds. We have 50 amp and water for $20. We settled into our site and ate lunch. After walking the dogs, we left to go to the NOAA Maritime Museum. We signed up for the Glass Bottom Boat Shipwreck Tour of Thunder Bay, at 4 PM. ($30 each). We wandered through the small museum (free),

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI 

and left to go to see more of the Victorian/ Timber Baron Houses. We only found this one, which was pretty fancy! We saw a lot of other nice houses, but nothing this unique.

Victorian House in Alpena

We returned to the museum at 3:30. Boarding was at 3:45. Here is Bob looking at the anchor exhibit.

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

We met Capt. Paul, and his three mates. The tour guides were Sheri and Curt, a retired couple. Sheri had been an elementary teacher and Curt was a college professor. Sheri did the tour narration.

We left promptly at 4:00 and after the instruction on how to use the life jackets, we passed this ship. It is a NOAA teaching vessel, from Annapolis, where teenagers are taught about the NOAA maritime goals.

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

We continued on the river and under the draw bridge.

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

We passed by Big Red, their harbor light. The lighthouse had burned down and they put this light up, made of steel in the early 1900’s. It is red because you always keep the ‘red’ to your right in navigation when entering port.

Big Red on Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

We traveled to the white buoys which mark the sites of the shipwrecks. There are at least 200 shipwrecks, just in Thunder Bay.

There were three shipwrecks in a row. Only one of them had actually wrecked at this site. The other two were dumped by their owners, back in the 1800’s. Each of these three wrecks had been here for over 100 years.

Shipwreck Tour in Alpena MI

Shipwreck Tour Alpena MI

The pictures do not show the detail ( and fish) that we could see. The tour boat has a small draft and the water was only about 12 feet deep. The one ship that did crash at this site had no fatalities, as they were so close to shore. We went to several other wreck sites and were able to see various different kinds of  wrecked ships.

Thunder Bay is a Maritime Preserve. Anyone can snorkel or dive to look at the wrecks, and this is encouraged. You can rent the equipment, including wet suits, in town.  Today the water temp was 63, so you would need a wet suit. This is one of only 10 marine preserves and the only fresh water one! It covers miles and there is a bill before Congress to extend the area. The last shipwreck in Thunder Bay occurred in 1966 to a German ship. All hands, including the dog, were saved. The majority of the shipwrecks occurred in the 1800’s, starting after the opening of the Erie Canal. Thunder Bay was a vibrant shipping area for timber and ships would line up, five miles long, waiting to load.

The tour was fascinating and we would love to return, on a warmer day, to snorkel some of the shipwrecks.

Capt. Paul used to work at the local cement plant. A freighter was loading, so he took us into the port to see the freighter. This is the biggest cement factory of its type in the world, and it is very ecologically sound..

Frieghter at largest concrete plant

We returned to the pier, hopped into the car, and returned to the motor home. I prepared dinner ( the crock pot was already cooking), I just had to put together the other items, while Bob walked the dogs. Bob also set up the portable satellite dish. We watched TV and went to bed after a very busy day!

Wednesday- We woke up this morning with not a cloud in the sky. By 9 AM the sky was completely covered with clouds and there was a slight breeze. We attempted to make reservations prior to leaving the Fairgrounds, but did not have much luck. All of the places that I called did not open until after 9 AM. I kept calling and finally found a site at the Mackinaw City KOA. We do not like KOA’s, but we had to take what we could get. We are staying for 5 days and only have water and 50 amp for $41 a night. We picked up a KOA card which gave us a 10% discount, but the card is not yet paid for, as it cost $27 and the discount on the stay is $20.

We were unable to get into the RV park in Holland/Grand Rapids, again, but this time we found another place to stay. We were able to get reservations in Travis City and Manistee.

We hooked up the car and pulled out of the fairgrounds at around 10 AM. We drove north on Hwy 23. We stopped at a nice picnic area for a short break. It was very pretty, overlooking Lake Huron.

Lake Huron

Lake Huron

We stopped at the 40 Mile Point Lighthouse. We had a brochure which said there was RV parking. There was and we easily parked. We walked over to the lighthouse.


40 miles Point Lighthouse

This lighthouse was free. We went inside the keepers house. It is actually a duplex, and the open part was the lighthouse keepers residence. The other side is where the current keeper lives. Originally it was for the assistant light keeper.

We were met by a couple of RV’ers who are working a two week shift and staying in one of the four FHU sites available. Hmmm, something for us to do in the future?

The inside was furnished with period pieces. I spent my time talking with the gal while Bob climbed the 52 steps to the top. He took these pictures.

View from Lighthouse

View from Lighthouse

Fresnel Light

Above is the active Fresnel Lens. The first lens was installed in 1896 and was activated on April 30, 1897. It was a Fourth Order Fresnel equipped with six bull’s-eye panels. Powered by a clock work mechanism, the lens rotated around the lamp at a regulated speed to emit the stations white flash every 10 seconds. Today, the tower houses an automated Fourth Order Fresnel lens, with a signature of three seconds on and three seconds off. Bob also found this:


We returned to the MH and ate lunch, before leaving to continue our journey north.

We drove straight to the KOA and checked in. While I met with the gal and paid for the site, Bob unconnected the car and went to the dump station. We set up camp then returned to the office to find out about various tourist things to do…. 

The KOA gal suggested that we go to Micky’s Ice Cream, so we did! She had also said get the small and split it and we were glad that we took her advise. We had the Mackinaw Fudge Ice Cream single, with two spoons. It was huge!

We left and drove over to the Old Mackinaw Point Lighthouse.


Old Macinaw Lighthouse

Here is the bridge from the lighthouse.

Big Mac bridge

Macinac Island

Above is Mackinac Island ( also pronounced Mackinaw). Next we went to the McGulpin Point Lighthouse.

McGulpin Point Lighthouse

Back of McGulpin Point Lighthouse

Congress appropriated funds in 1854 and construction began in 1868. McGulpin Point was one of five on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior that were almost mirror images. In a style referred to as Norman Gothic, the structure has buttressed corners and an octagonal tower. It was built with Cream City brick and made from clay found near Milwaukee and favored by the U.S. Lighthouse Board.

The light was rendered obsolete by the construction of the Old Mackinac Point Light and fold signal station in 1892. By 1906, the McGulpin light was decommissioned and sold to a private individual. Emmett County purchased the property in 2008.

We wandered through the rooms which were furnished in period pieces and climbed up the tower. Here are pictures from the top.

View from the top of the McGulpin Point Lighthouse

View from top of McGulpin Point Lighthouse

We went back down to the second floor and watched a 15 minute video about the shipwrecks in the area.

From the lighthouse, we drove down to Mackinaw Straits to see the ‘Big Rock”. Over 395 years ago,( prior to the landing at Plymouth Rock) the French explorers were plying the straits of Mackinac and using a rock, five times the size of Plymouth rock to gauge waster levels as they navigated in canoes along the shoreline. The Native Americans were also using the rock, prior to the French Canadians, as a measure of the water level. Someone yesterday said that Lake Huron has gone up 13 inches this year, and since the lake is so big, that is a lot of water that was added to the lake. Historical records have shown that the straits have risen and fallen as much as 8 feet over time. The rock is approximately 33.8 ft. in horizontal circumference, and 37 ft. in vertical circumference. It is about 9 ft. tall. and its estimated weight is 54 tons.

Big Rock

Here are some other scenes of this area.

Macinaw Straights north of bridge


Mackinaw Bridge

Thursday-  We were out the door by about 8:10 to go to the marina. Our destination was to take Sheplers Ferry to Mackinac Island. We arrived just before 8:30, bought our tickets, and we were able to catch the 8:30 ferry to the island

We sat inside as it was still cool outside. The ride is only 15 minutes( $26 each, actually $24 each with a $2 coupon off each ticket from the campground).

Below is the Grand Hotel. The hotel holds the record for the most rocking chairs on a porch. There were 104 of them. Either you stay at the Grand or you pay to tour the hotel.

Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island MI

The town. The large white area is Ft. Mackinac.

Ft. Macinac, Mackinac Island MI

Mackinac Island MI

The ferry also past the  new Round Island  Lighthouse.

Round Lighthouse, Mackinac Island MI

We the ferry and walked two blocks to the Carriage ride ticket booth and bought tickets for the 9:15 carriage ride.

Mackinac Island MI

We boarded the carriage and were in the last row. Our guide, Cory was just okay. It was his last day and we don’t think he was really into it… also the jokes were really corny.  The driver took us past Marquette park where there was this statue of Fr. Jacques Marquette, who brought the Heron Indians to the Island in 1671, after they were run out of their land by the Iroquois in Ontario. Interestingly, the Huron had been assisting my ancestors in Quebec in the 1650’s!

Anyway, the carriage took us through town, showing us the Governors Summer Residence. Constructed in 1902 for a lawyer, Lawrence Young,  for a summer home. Front of the Govenors Mansion

When the economy tanked, he sold the house to the state of Michigan, in 1944. In the sale contract, the house can only be sold back to the original family, for $15,000, exactly what it was sold to the state.  It is exactly the cost to build the house. The governor was not on the island during out visit.

The house is approximately 7,100 ft with 11 bedrooms, 8 full bath and 2 half baths. It is maintained by the Mackinac Island state Park Commission and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is open for tours on Wednesdays.

Senator John F. Kennedy and Governor G. Mennem Williams met on the sun porch on June 2, 1960. Bill Clinton visited while he was Governor of Arkansas. George H.W. Bush, Gerald Ford and Harry Truman also visited the mansion.

Below is the Post Office, which does not delivery to homes or businesses. You have to pick up your mail at the Post Office.

Post Office-Mackinac Island MI

Robert Stuart House-Mackinac Island MI

Above is the Robert Stuart House, 1817- When the war of 1812 ended, John Jacob Astor established the northern departmental headquarters of the American Fur Company  on the island. Robert Stuart was the company’s resident manager and used the house as both his home and office. the business prospered, shipping over 3 million dollars worth of furs in 1822.

Little Stone Congregational  Church-Mackinac Island MI

Above is the Little Stone Congregational Church with stain glass windows depicting scenes from Mackinac history. The church is only open during tourist season.

Wood fire equipment-Mackinac Island MI DSCN3442

Above is the antique fire equipment.

Horseshoe for Belguin Draft Horse Horshoe for Belgiun Draft Horse

Above are special shoes for the horses. They are covered in an acrylic and have texture to make it easier for the horses to pull the carriages. The horses are Belgium Draft Horses who can pull a lot of weight. More than Clydesdales. Ordinary horseshoes wear out too quickly.

Mackinac Island was declared to be car free since cars were first invented. First they declared the town car free, then the entire island.  They only allow bicycles, horses, and horse drawn carriages. Originally, there were hack drivers who descended upon the visitors. It became such an issue, that the Mackinac Island Carriage Tours Inc. was formed. The routes are uniform. The drivers pay $13 a day for their lodging and meals. Because we wanted to see the interior of the island, we did not bring our bikes with us. We could have, but decided not to. We could also have brought the dogs, as they are welcome, but felt that it would be an issue. If we ever return to the island, we would travel by bike around the outer perimeter, and eight mile ride.

Half way through the tour, the carriage pulls up to a building. A picture( for sale of course) is taken of the carriage. Then everyone gets off. There were restrooms, junk shops and a food vendor. Plus they put several carriages in the middle. Here they are:

Victoria Carriage-

Above is a “Victoria carriage” one of only 10 still known to exist. It was used to tour the island in the 1800’s.

Birds Eye Maple Surray

Above, a Glen Falls Birds Eye Surrey- a real luxury carriage from the 1880’s.

Mackinac Hearse, still in use

Above is the town hearse. It is still used today for any islander who passes away.

Steam Engine Fire Pumper

The fire water pumper.  We went out the other side of the ‘tourist trap’ and boarded a bigger carriage which was pulled by three horses. We were in the front seat this time.

Back of the second carriage horses

Hearse entrance to the cemetery

This is the entrance to the cemetery. It was carefully built in 1920 using specifications for the hearse above to go through this gate. What they forgot, was the driver of the hearse who had to sit on top of the vehicle, so it has never been used! Note the dirt road behind the gate, that is how the hearse enters the cemetery.

There is also a large dirt mound to the far left, which is not in the picture. It is the Indian Burial mound. When doing any construction on the island, they find Native American bones. These bones are then buried in the Indian mound.

There is also a soldiers cemetery where the flag is maintained at half staff in honor of those who died. There are a number of unmarked graves as they used to just bury the men when they were killed without markers or just with a cross with no name.

DSCN3411Skull Cave

Above is Skull Cave. On June 2, 1763, Ojibwa warriors captured Fort Michilimackinac in a bloody surprise attack. the fort was located in Mackinaw City and was a British outpost. One of the few British survivors was a merchant, Alexander Henry who was captured. A local Indian Chief Wawatam, hid him in Skull Cave, where the Indians had buried their dead and the poor man ended up  unknowingly sleeping on skulls and bones.

Our next stop was at Arch Rock. Arch Rock rises 146 ft. above the water. It spans 50 ft.at it’s widest point. The Geologists state that the arch was formed over thousands of years by wind and water eroding soft rock below, leaving only the hard breccia rock which forms the arch.

Arch Rock

Through the rock in the water below, you could see this drawing in the water. It is a marriage proposal.

Through ARch Rock

While stopped, they watered the horses and we were allowed to pet them.

Bob petting the horse Denise petting the horse

Wood pecker holes in trees

We saw a lot of trees with these holes in them. They are caused by a woodpecker. This is a large woodpecker, whose name I do not remember, but it was the inspiration for ‘Woody the Woodpecker’ of cartoon fame. Below, Rickey our driver.

Ricky our guide

Boy Scout Lodge, Gerry Ford was a boyscout here.

Above is Scout Barracks. Built in 1934 as a CCC project, Boy or Girl Scouts from all over Michigan stay weekly and serve as guides at Fort Mackinac and other historic buildings. The program began in 1929 with a group of Eagle Scouts from southwest Michigan, among them was future President Gerald R. Ford.

Grand Hotel Stables

Above is the Grand Hotel’s stables and carriage storage. We were taken back to the carriage change over and of course, run back through the tourist trap!

On the other side we were herded back into the first carriage to be taken back down the hill.

First carriage

One of the Grand Hotel carriages.

Grand Hotel carriage


Above, some of the rental horses. Below, a para-sailor over the Grand Hotel.

Parasailer over Grand Hotel

Our guide/driver, said nothing on the return trip. She dropped us off in the center of town.

Downtown-Mackinac Island MI

We went to lunch at the Seabiscuit Restaurant.

LUnch-Mackinac Island MI

A very expensive lunch at $37 for two bowls of tomato basil soup and we split a sandwich of shrimp and lobster salad. Bob also had a pint of Guinness. The food and beer were good.

We wandered through the Fudge stores. All the tourists are called ‘Fudgies”. Almost every other store is a fudge shop, so we sampled some of it until we found some fudge that we liked. Murdick’s Candy Kitchen started in the 1880’s and fudge became a  Mackinac Island success story. The idea of island tourists buying ‘sweets’ dates back to the early travelers who purchased birch bark mokuks of maple sugar. In the late 1880’s the candy stores started carrying other types of candies. The owners soon learned that the process of making slab fudge attracted visitors who then bought tons of the stuff. Ever since then, fudge has been a big item on the island with the stores competing with a variety of flavors.  We bought our fudge at Spencer’s, where they had a nice cherry fudge and a pomegranate- raspberry which is really tasty! .

We wandered the water front, stopping to take pictures of the lighthouse.


We also looked at the various homes.

Victorian House-Mackinac Island MI

Victorian House-Mackinac Island MI

Victorian House-Mackinac Island MI

Victorian House-Mackinac Island MI

Here is a kites flying over the bay.

Kite flying-Mackinac Island MI 

One of the other ferry companies.


The Mackinac Bridge from the island.

Mackinac Bride from Mackinac Island MI

Horse drawn wagon.

Horses used for everything

Another part of the bay on our departure.

The Harbor, Mackinac Island

We returned to the MH, walked the dogs, and took  a short nap. We ran to Cheboygan to the Walmart for a few items. We were unable to find any places of interest to view, but later found that there is a lighthouse.

We returned home, ate dinner and for the first time sat out on our patio. Bob also ran a cloth over the entire MH to make sure that the paint was right. We found a section that we are going to discuss with them, as the paint stripes do not match on the large slide. Also, the ends of the slide are not shinny, like the rest of the MH and feel like they may have not put the coating on them.

Friday- We left at 8, driving north on I-75 over the Mackinac Bridge. The drive to Sault St. Marie was supposed to be one hour, but it took us an hour and 20 minutes, due to construction. We had a detour off I-75. When they are doing repairs, they just close down the section of the interstate!

We went directly to the wharf, as we are taking the Soo Locks tour. We arrived in plenty of time for the 10 AM tour. When we got out of the car, I realized I had forgotten my jacket. So I bought a hoodie sweatshirt.

The boat arrived at the dock at 10 AM, and we loaded at 10:10. We were in the second seat on the top level on the starboard side. Nice view of Canada!

The tour takes you through the Canadian lock then around a small area of Lake Superior, then back through the American lock. Cool!

We left the dock and went downstream on the St. Mary’s River to pick up some folks at dock 2. Then we continued towards the locks and Lake Superior. We passed by the American Power Company. The building was built by experienced builders, note that the dividers look like light houses. You could never afford to build a building like this now!

American  power plant, Soo Locks Tour

A freighter was passing by heading to the American lock. 

Canada-Soo Locks Tour

Here is Canada.

Canada-Soo Locks Tour

Canada-Soo Locks Tour

Below is the Sault St. Marie History Tower.

Sault St. Marie- History Tower-Soo Locks Tour

3 tankers -Soo Locks Tour

Above are three of the freighters together. Below are the American Locks.

American Locks Soo Locks Tour

Below is the Canadian Lock, still closed, then opening for us.

Canadian Lock-Soo Locks Tour

Canadian Lock opening

In the Canadian Lock-Soo Locks Tour

Above, inside the lock, facing Lake Superior. Notice how low we are sitting. The boat was tied to the side of the lock. Below, facing to the rear with the lock door starting to close behind us. Then closing…

Canadaian side- Back lock closing -Soo Locks Tour

Canadian lock closing behind us. American Locks Soo Locks Tour
Canadian lock closing behind us. Soo Locks Tour

We rose 21 ft. to the level of Lake Superior, taking about 15-20 minutes.

People crossing to the Canadian side of the lock, walking across top of lock.

21 ft higher.

An old anchor with wooden top

On the way down the channel, we saw this anchor with a wooden pull.

Canadain steel factory-Soo Locks Tour

This is a Canadian Steel Mill, above. Below,  they were scooping up the taconite.Picking up the taceinite

Lake Superior

Lake Superior -Soo Locks Tour

Tankers lined up to go through American lock

Above, tankers lining up to go through the American lock.

Cruising into the American Lock

Our little boat pulling into the lock. Below, the American viewing area.

American lock viewing platform

American lock, note height of water.

Above, before we lowered. The down 21 ft. went much faster than the up 21 ft.

Going down...

Getting ready to leave the locks.

American lock opening.

Border with Canada

Above, the rocks in the river which separates U.S. and Canada.

We went to lunch at  Karl’s Cuisine Café which was excellent. It had a good review on Yelp. Bob had a cherry chicken salad sandwich and I had the BBQ pork with apple butter along with the BBQ sauce.

We left Sault St. Marie and traveled back south on I-75. We stopped in St. Ignace to look at the town and the lighthouse.

Whitefish Point LIghthouse

This is the Wawatam lighthouse. He was the chief who saved Mr. Henry, of Skull Cave fame. There is a water park right near the lighthouse.

Water park in St. Ingace

We returned to the MH, sat out for awhile, grilled some chicken for dinner, sat outside some more, watching people setting up for the weekend.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: