• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 64 other subscribers
  • Archives

Sat.. May 3 to Fri. May 9- Bremen to South Bend IN

Saturday- Two more trips to the apartment. We moved the bed today plus most of the rest of our stuff, including the bikes. Good thing we have a two bedroom apartment, as the extra bedroom, and its closet, are in use.

Sunday- We finished the last of the move. The dogs are not doing well with the change. They are very confused. We took them with us back to the motor home and they settled right into their usual spots.

We moved the motor home out of Pla-More and dropped it off in the parking lot at McMillers. These are the last before pictures.

Last motor home pic front


We stopped at DQ for lunch, then drove back to South Bend. We took a much needed nap, then went to Walmart. We are a bit concerned, as Karlie was barking when we returned to the apartment. We are going to have to correct her behavior.

Monday-  We started working with the RV phone guys at around 9 AM, right before they got slammed by the Escapade purchasers. It took until 2 PM, before both phones were transferred and ready to go. It was not like we had anything to do anyway. In fact, the guy from the Foundry came to fix the sink sprayer hose while we were here. Glad we were here since the dogs are still acclimating.

Once the phones were ready to go, we left and went to the Verizon store to have our information transferred over. Then we stopped at Walmart to pick up a power strip. We needed more electric for charging the phones and I pad.

We stopped at University Mall to check out the kiosks for phone covers, but it seems that the majority were for the Samsun Galaxy and the I phone. So we returned home and ordered covers and screen savers from Amazon.

The dogs seem to be doing better. No barking today. Dinner at home, TV and off to bed.

Tuesday- It is raining again. Seems like it rains all the time here. Guess we can’t complain, as it has been snowing in Colorado!

We spent the day at home. Bob made dog food. We read and enjoyed time together.

Wednesday- The temp was 47 this morning and the weather forecast is for more rain today. I finally got around to taking pictures of the apartment.

This is our floor plan.

This is the entrance hallway. On the left is the bathroom, then our bedroom. On the right is the washer/dryer and the extra bedroom/bathroom.

Hallway in apartment in South Bend IN

The floors are a wood laminate. Gets us all used to having this kind of floor, as that is what we are putting in the motor home. Next is our bedroom.

Apt. bedroom 

Note in the upper right corner, high windows. Since we have mini-blinds in the living room, Bob covered the windows with black trash can liners using painters tape. It is working pretty well. We had a terrible rattle when the air conditioner came on in the ceiling vent. Bob tried to fix it, but yesterday we had the apartment repair guy come over and fix it.

Kitchen in apartment in South Bend IN

The kitchen is small with high cabinets. The refrigerator is bigger, but the pantry is smaller. The bar stools are very high, and if they were ours we would cut them shorter.

apartment in South Bend IN

This is the area between the kitchen and living room. We are using the dining table as our desk. Note the air vent in the ceiling. The apartment has a ‘loft’ feeling to it with the open vents and the brick wall. Note the church pew in front of the window. It belongs to Blake. Not sure why he has it, but we needed a place to put it that was out of the way.Living room in apartment in South Bend IN

This is the living room area. We will miss the 53” TV! There is a door to a very small balcony on the left. The balcony is about  15” wide. The coffee table is usually in the center of the room, instead of in front of the window, but I have been using the Wii and need the room for exercising.

Balcony at South Bend apt.

This is the view directly across from the apartment to the west apartments. The Foundry office is next to the 7-eleven. That shows you what the building looks like.

Front of the west apartment with the office next to 7-eleven

Below is the view to the south.

View to the south from the South Bend apt.

This is the view to the north. If we lean forward we can see Notre Dame University, which is just on the other side of the cross street.

View to the north from apartment in South Bend

Eddy street is very active in the late afternoon and evening. There are bars and restaurants. We are directly above an Urban Outfitters. On the right corner is a Notre Dame bookstore. The main bookstore is on campus, not far away.

Behind the building is a huge, 4 story parking garage. We are on the 4th floor, but that floor is open, so we have been parking on the 3rd floor, under cover. The 4th floor is for residents only and we have to use our parking card to get to the floor. The parking garage has one hour free parking,  but we have a parking pass. Usually the street parking is full, and looking out the window last evening, there was a traffic jam on the one block street.

The Foundry is only a few years old. The area was low income housing that was deteriorating. So the University bought the land, took down the shacks and built these buildings. The west building was built  first and opened about 6 years ago. The east building (ours) is only 4  years old. They have turned this street into a very ‘happening’ neighborhood. The houses in the surrounding neighborhood have also been upgraded, with some new ones, that are meeting an architectural match with the older houses. Behind the west building is a grassy field attached to the Notre Dame Cancer Research facility.

I called the Jewish Center of St. Joseph Valley about Mahjongg last week. One of the Mahjongg ladies called me back. She invited me to play today, as they have an opening, but she had me call the Center for directions. They are not listed on Google, due to security reasons and the place is hard to find. So I had called for directions. Bob and I made a trial run, then stopped at McAllister’s Deli for sandwiches. The sandwiches were good, but a little pricey. Of course, we only ate half today, so we have second meals for tomorrow. 

I left for Mahjongg at 12:40. I played with 4 other ladies. They have a full group, so I am only going to be a back up when they need someone. Oh well, there are not a lot of games in the area so I will take what I can get. They play for $4, so I only lost a little bit of money. I won on a closed hand, so I won most of my money back. I think I was only down 50 cents by the end.

Meanwhile, Bob had gone to all the restaurants in our development and picked up carryout menus. He also worked on trying to get Comcast to upgrade our package. Finally he ended up calling Cory, who had been hiking in Big Sur and had not been able to answer my emails. Cory is taking care of the upgrade.

Since it is rainy and cold, we decided to make soup for dinner.

Thursday- Still rainy and cold with temps all day in the 40’s. Bob took the dogs out and they all returned drenched! We decided that after lunch we would go to the Studebaker Museum, thinking we would be inside. We thought touring would last about an hour to an hour and a half. We arrived at 12:30 and left there after four! It was so interesting.

Entrance to Studebaker Museum

Entrance to Studebaker Museum

From 1736 to 1750 members of the Studebaker family arrived in America from  Germany. They had been involved in blacksmithing for centuries. One of the first immigrants, Clement Studebaker built his first wagon in America in 1750.

In 1852, two of Clements’s great-grandchildren, Henry and Clement, opened the H&C Studebaker Blacksmith shop in South Bend IN. With the help of younger brother, John M., they constructed a sturdy wagon, which John provided to a wagon train as his payment for overland passage to the California gold fields.

Oliver plow

From 1853 to 1858, John earned a small fortune making wheelbarrows and other tools for the gold miners. In 1858 John returned to South Bend and invested his fortune in his brothers business. The Studebakers brothers built hundreds of wagons for the North during the Civil War. By 1876, the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company was the largest producer of horse-drawn vehicles in the world.

In 1902 they entered the automobile industry with an electric car. In 1904, they introduced their first gas powered car.

They also made items for Singer,such as the bottom of the sewing machine cabinet. The wood  cabinet was made in South Bend and the metal by Studebaker.

Studebaker made the pedals for Singer

Wagons and carriages may have started the business, but they also made other vehicles, including fire trucks and mail trucks. They also built hearses.

Studebaker started with wagons and progressed to carriages

Studebaker made mail trucks

Studebaker made fire trucks

Studebaker six child herse

Denise in a Studebaker

Bob in a Studebaker

Bob in a Studebaker

Wow, have cars changed over the years.

1934 President

Famous Studebaker, driven across country in 77 hours, 40 minutes.

Above the car raced across the country in 77 hours and 40 minutes, making a world record at the time. Below, this President has a door on the side for golf clubs!

Presidential with gold club storage

A Flamingo colored Hawk, the color is only by Studebaker.

Above is a flamingo colored Hawk. Below is the last Avanti made by Studebaker, although they are still made in Mexico by another company with a corvette engine.

Last Avanti made

There were way too many beautiful cars to take pictures of each one. There were some awesome automobiles!!!!

The Studebaker family decided to have a Studebaker museum early in their business and since they started with carriages, they bought some interesting carriages.

Presdient Lincolns Barouche

Above is the barouche that Lincoln rode in to Fords Theater.

Below is General La Fayette’s barouche.

Marquise De Lafette Barouche

President’s Grant and McKinley’s carriages where there also.

Studebaker celebrated their hundred year anniversary in 1952. In 1963, the Board of Directors closed the South Bend plant. Manufacturing continued on the Studebaker Lark in Canada until March 17, 1966.

We only saw a small part of the museum before the house tour, so at 1 PM, we took the Oliver House tour. The Oliver’s made plows. One of the family members made a change to how plow blades are made, making smooth plow blades by chilling the cooling cast iron blade. The company went out of business in 1929, with a family member making the decision to get out of banks before the depression, and the family is still comfortably living on the trust fund! The grandchildren donated the house to the museum, leaving everything as it was. All the furniture, pictures, and clothing are original. The family just walked away! They even left the crystal and silver! Guess you can do that if you are so rich.

The house is pretty incredible. It was built in 1.5 years. The family members went out into fields and chose the stones. It is built based on a European design. This is the back of the house.


The house has 36 rooms with numerous bathrooms and fireplaces. Below is the carriage house,


The horses were stabled on both sides and the carriages were in the center. The stable men lived above the stable.

Walk to the gardens, used for weddings

This is the walkway to the gardens. It is built with brick from the original factory. Weddings occur here all the time.  The factory was moved to a new location when electricity became available. The house was built prior to electricity being readily available, but the family felt that electricity was the wave of the future, and built the house with the wiring in place. It was the first house in South Bend to have electric.

Living room fireplace

Above is the largest and most ornate of the fireplaces, located in the living room. Note the mahogany fireplace and ceiling.

Living room

Family dining room

Above is the family dining room. Under the carpeting are floor buttons to push notifying the butler to come into the room. By using the floor button, you did not have to interrupt your conversations with visitors.

Entrance way and stairs

This was the hallway/entrance. The entire area was done in a dark oak. Catherine, the youngest daughter, who lived in the house until she died at age 92 in 1972, decided to have the 7 layers of stain removed to lighten the oak. This was a major  undertaking, as it was for the two floors, and all of the wood has intricate carvings. They did an excellent job! The artisanship in this house is incredible.

Piano room

This is the piano room. Weekly,on Friday evenings,  someone comes in and plays the mahogany Steinway to keep it in tune.

Ceiling in the piano room

This is the ceiling of the piano room.

Olivers office, with presidential pictures on the wall.

This is Mr. Oliver’s study.The pictures on the wall are of men that he worked with, including Presidents and the Fords- Henry and Edsel. There was a bathroom right off the study and a closet, still full of his hats, shoes, and coats.

Olivers clothes 

The morning room

Above is the morning room. Or mourning room. As a morning room, it was used by the ladies of the house. When a family member died, it was used as a mourning room, as the body was laid out for viewing in this room.

The entrance from upstairs

Above is the view from upstairs of the entranceway.

Master Bedroom

Above is the master bedroom. Catherine, the youngest daughter, never married, so when her parents died, she moved into this room. She undertook a massive renovation in the 1930’s and changed all the colors to this pink and green. She really over did it, with this pink and green in every room.

Even though she did not marry, she was ‘dating’ two men, whose pictures are in the room. She saw each of them every other day for over 50 years! She was a strange bird. She broke her hip at one point and ended up putting in an elevator.

Then there was her brother. He lost his wife, who fell off a horse, at age 23( she married him at age 19). He never remarried, and it seemed that he had a little OCD. He labeled all his clothes by the day of the week that he should wear them and had 7 shaving cream brushes, labeled for each day of the week. He never remarried after he lost his wife.

In the house was a room just for the in-laws who came to visit. In it was this ‘wedding’ bed. A wedding  bed is made from three items from the families. The headboard is from one family, the frame is from the other and the canopy is from both. I had never heard of that custom, but it is interesting.

A wedding bed

From the main house, our docent, took us to an employees house. We walked through finding various familiar items such as a game of Tiddley Winks and a pot just like one we currently use.

An employee house

We returned to the Studebaker Museum and continued looking at the gorgeous cars. There was also an exhibit about the Notre Dame band, which we quickly moved through. Then we wandered through their WWI exhibit.

Temporary exhibit on WWI

America was only involved in WWI for two years, during which time we lost 2 million young men. Below are the before and after maps of Europe.

Pre-WWI map of countries

Post WWI countries map

When you look at these two maps, it certainly makes you more concerned about what Putin is currently doing in Russia. If his intent is to take back all of the pre-WWI Russia, we are in for big problems!

Front of museum dedicated to the workers but showing the type of house they lived in.

Above is the front of the museum. The design is to honor the factory workers, as they design represents the houses that the workers lived in.


We left the museum and went in search of a chocolate chip cookie! It is National Chocolate Chip Cookie day. We found one at The Dainty Maid Bakery. I wish I had taken a picture of it as it was a really good cookie! We returned home and ate dinner at home.

Friday- We were up early and I went to physical therapy. I have been having a lot of trouble with my left shoulder. The PT thinks it might be an issue with my neck that is pulling my shoulder out of place. The electricity is out in all of downtown South Bend, so traffic is really light.

I returned to the apartment to find that Bob had the Comcast upgrade completed. We left and headed south to Nappanee. We stopped for lunch at the Downtown Coffee Shop for lunch. We had a very nice lunch!

We went to McMillers to return the cart. Bob also wanted to change the water hose in the MH while the side was off, but could not get to it yet. He may end up doing it next week. Here is what the MH currently looks like:

Motor Home renovation

MH renovation









Both side walls are off. Most of the floor has been pulled up. They found a lot of water damage behind the walls, which is what causes the blisters. Many people just try to repair the blisters not realizing that they have so much damage behind the walls.

When the MH was built, they put on the fiberglass walls with plywood behind the filon. With any water intrusion, the plywood swells and then leaks the water out through blisters. In the last picture above, you can see the brown stain below the trash door and the refrigerator opening. That was not good. With the repair, we should never have this problem again because the material being placed on the MH will not have any plywood in the walls. Below, this the brown area on this piece of the wall had no blisters, but would have as this had been a wet area.

What a good piece looked like

We left McMillers and stopped by Mikes Painting, who will be doing the paint job. We just needed to know where it was located for Monday when we meet with them about the colors and design

We returned to South Bend and stopped by the Farmers  Market. It was 1:45 and they had closed up. They closing time is 2 PM. Oh well.

So we ran into a Verizon store. They guy could not get the Play Store to come up. Evidently they are doing some upgrade, so he gave us the name of some apps to use. We have both been having problems downloading a ringtone.

We returned home. Bob walked the dogs and I went and checked on the mail. We ate dinner, watched some TV, read, played computer games and went to bed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: